File pictures

File pictures
Fluffy

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Gluten free mixes test

Judy gave me some Bob's Red Mill mixes last Aug. for my b/day. I looked @ the sell by date on the pkg. It get's too hot to turn the oven on after May here.I have been baking GF this week.I had a bread mix up in my Tupperware box. I can't eat it because of the fava bean in it. For some reason dried beans in mixes make me sick.Maybe of the starches my body can't break down.
I decided to make it for him to eat for lunch. For a diabetic the bean actually slow down his blood sugar vs white flour which raise UR blood sugar.
I no longer have my bread mixer or bread machine which the twins have. I haven't eat bread substitutes since I went GF over a year ago.
I did what GF girl suggested 1.no vinegar added in the bread as in the recipe. I got a higher volume loaf w/ this mix than the 1st mix I did 2.put a pan of ice cubes in the bottom of the oven to make a steam in the oven for the bread to bake in. It seemed to work. I also covered the top of the bread w/ al./foil after 20 min's. It takes minimum of 60-65 min.'s to bake GF bread or it will be raw in the middle. GF bread will not have the texture than wheat base bread have.The batter is more like a cake batter. It does not have the stretchy pull yeast dough w/ wheat have.If making GF bread from a recipe be exact in UR measurements of the various flours.Follow the recipe to the "t" It doesn't have the give of working w/ the recipe like bread recipes do. Making wheat bread in Utah was different in feel then in Texas. When I moved to Texas since it was more humid in DFW I had to use more flour than in Utah.
Anyway this will be good for Allen's diet. Until we get more precise allergy testingfor him,I can sneak more GF food in his diet. I can't eat the mixes so I let him be the guinea oig & he's no wiser. It means he's going to be eating more of my GF food .
I made pizza for him for supper as a treat Fri. His job is up in he air right now. so we're watching our money. I made him a GF pizza from the fava bean mix from Bob's Red Mill. He liked it before. I's better for a diabetic than white flour crust ,it has more protein & fiber in it. I used so some Polis sausage on it,last of the cheddar cheese & black olives in the frig. I put a whole onion fried on it since he likes onion.
So he had fresh pizza for supper & we watched a funny DVD for a date nite @ home.

No comments:

our puppy vistor

our puppy vistor